Followers

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Original Ms. Solitaire
She had great legs and wore high heels well into her nineties.  She could pinch you with her toes hard enough to make you cry, I found this out the hard way because she slept with her eyes open.  As a child, I would always lean over her to ensure that she was still breathing.  That's when she'd pinch me with her toes and laugh so hard that tears rolled down her face.  She was the original Ms. Solitaire.
As part of the second famiy her husband chose to have, I'm sure that she was very disappointed by his early death.  She decided to leave her country to help care for my brother and I, her grandchildren.  She didn't know any English, which is just one example of her bravery.
She smoked a cigarette and occasionally drank one beer at night.  She drank honey and water in the morning, which she called her beauty treatment.  It worked.  She was tough, yet she never hurt me when combing through my long hair to get the tangles out.  She knew how to draw a bath with perfectly lukewarm water. 
She played solitaire, her favorite game.  I think it was symbolic of the way she lived her life.  She never remarried , she stuck to her ways and she was strong enough to be herself. 
My Grandmother, my Abuelita, the original Ms. Solitaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment