Followers

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

So, today I walked nervously through the sunshine in my dress to meet my boss for coffee.  I had no idea what was up.  In all fairness, my boss is a basically decent guy.  But the coffee house is one in which an old flame works at.  To add to this, I quit my job and am in my last week of a month long notice.  So I walked quickly trying to figure out what it would be that he would want to say.  Was it an exit interview?  Was it so bad that we couldn't talk about it at the office?  Was I in some kind of trouble?  This was important because I still want to stay with the company to do freelance interpreting as well as the freelance writing that I do.  So it was a tense walk.
I arrived to find a welcoming atmosphere, it always is there, and a hug from the old flame.  After that I realized that my boss was behind him, awkward, but okay.  Anyway, he bought me coffee and a macaroon, like I said-he's a nice boss.  I settled in, nibbling nervously, and waiting for whatever lay ahead.
To my surprise, it was freedom.  I had worked most of my month and he would only need me one more full eight hour day.  I have been spending the last few weeks working 40-45 hours and then coming home and writing to submit my book to my agent for publication AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  So this 48 hour stretch of time to write is like a gift. The hug from my dear friend was like sunshine.  The macaroon was one of the most divine morsels I've had the pleasure to eat.  And my boss's respect for me and my deadline was overwhelming.  It's not common that businessmen understand the need for freedom, and the need to get something done that is just for your own personal satisfaction.  I don't know if my book will sell a copy or a million.  I do know that it is a personal goal to get it done to raise awareness for people with AIDS in a way that incorporates a fun loving group of characters.  I hope that it works.
But today, as I walked back to try to finish things up at the office, I felt a sense of satisfaction and understanding from another human being that I have not felt in a long time.  Some of us need to demand our freedom, stretch our wings and see if we can fly.  Here I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment