Followers

Thursday, July 12, 2012

    Thank you Tom.

I was working on my book, and as most of you know, it's about a little girl with AIDS and the urban family that comes to help her.  It reminded me of a moment that I had in my life that I really wanted to share with everyone because it's just uplifting.
I'm not a fan of politicians, I never have been.  So when we found out that Tom Daschle was going to be making an appearance at the AIDS house I worked at, I thought it was probably a photo opportunity or something.  We become so callous, don't we?  I guess it's because we don't often see humanity and government working together.
Anyway, my very best friend was a die hard Democrat from birth to death and he had been so excited that Tom Daschle was coming to visit.  It's unfortunate that AIDS seems to guess when your body needs health the most, and then it finds a new illness to confine you.  My poor friend was confined to his bed, and as the motorcade of special security pulled up with Tom in tow, I shook my head in sadness.
There were no photographers, there were only special security people like the ones you see in the movies.  But the man who came out was a lively man, Tom had a big smile and a handshake for everyone.  He listened to the residents that were well enough to talk to him.  He asked important questions about funding and what could be done to help the house with its goals.
At one point, I just had a gut instinct, so I said "Mr. Daschle, can I ask you for a favor?"
"Sure."  he said.
"My good friend is just a complete die hard fan of yours and of Democrats in general, but he's very ill.  Can you just poke your head in his room and say 'hi'?."
Tom Daschle wordlessly went to his room, and not only shook his hand, but sat on his bed and had a conversation.  My friend had tears of joy in his eyes.  So did the rest of us.
Perhaps Tom got run out by a bunch of conservative voters in our ridiculous state, but Tom Daschle amazed me with his humanity that day.
I don't know where you are to thank you, Tom, but I hope that you see this.  My friend has since died, but I know that in that moment, he truly lived.


1 comment:

  1. Great piece Ms. S.
    I am glad that Mr. Daschle took the time and interest to be supportive. The story did surprise me because the limited dealings I have had with him have not shown this humane side.

    ReplyDelete